Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Kindney Stones Again

Well, the past 2 weeks have been really fun...Huh! Anything but fun.
On Sunday April 26, Arvil and I had finished having a great Sunday meal and headed downstairs to watch a little TV to relax. Well we might have been there about 20 minutes, when I started to get this crazy side pain, where there's no relief and it's worse then child bearing. I should have known something was up when I picked up a fleece blanket to wrap around me before I sat down. Lately, I'm anything but cold. But for some reason, I just wanted to have a little warmth. Needless to say after going to the bathroom 3 or 4 times, curling up in the fetal position 3 or 4 times, then throwing up everything I had ate; I wasn't in to good of a mood when I realized I was passing another kidney stone.
I finally decided that to get rid of the nasty pain, I would have to go the ER on a Sunday evening, something I wasn't looking forward to, since so many times it's busier then ever and I didn't want to wait while there were people looking on. But we decided to go anyway, with Arvil only having an hour or so before his bedtime.
Arvil loaded me in the car with my blanket and slippers and the closer to Missoula we got, I kept thinking that I should call in and get my name on the waiting list, but I couldn't bring myself to talk, since the pain kept me with labored breathing. So I prayed all the way, pleading with the Lord not to have wait, and the Lord answered my prayers. I walked in, signed my paperwork, and was taken right back to the bed. The doctor came in, asked if I knew what the pain was all about, which I did, since I had stones 3 years earlier with the same symptoms, so she ordered the CT and gave me happy iv drugs...The pain subsided and all was good. It's amazing what the right drugs can do for a person.
I sent Arvil home to get to bed, and told him I would call Clayton to come get me when I was ready, since I still needed to drain the IV bag of medicine . Within 20 to 30 minutes, the doctor came in and told me, I was the proud owner of a 7mm stone that had passed almost to the bladder, but had stopped, and a few more others. She thought that since the stone had traveled most the way, that within 3 days, I should pass it on my own. Needless to say, Clayton got his call a lot sooner then expected and so he came, picked me up and we went to the pharmacy to get more happy drugs. Wow, I was only in the ER for close to 2 hours, not 6 or 7.
Well, Mon, Tues, Wed all came and went and nothing is happening. So I'm to call my urologist to see if I could get an appointment. Well, on Friday...so Thursday and Friday I went to work and even covered someones shift, but had to leave early to go to the doctor. Needless to say, I would have had surgery on Friday, May 1, if I hadn't already ate lunch and since it would be so late by the time the magic hour would pass to allow me to have the surgery, We decided to wait until Monday morning. We decided that it would be best to go in and have the stone lasered and pulled out, instead of using the high frequency Ultrasound laser to just break up the stone.
Since I have this wonderful trip to Washington DC scheduled at the end of the week, we would need to work the schedule a little faster then normal.
Well it's now Wed, May 6th and I am still moving quite slowly, mainly due to the stent, and going to the bathroom quite frequent. I can honestly say, I wouldn't wish this on anyone and I hope that it won't mess up our trip. But the fun will not end soon, since once I'm home from DC and I cover for someone else that's having surgery, I get to go in and have my other kidney blasted for the stone that's forming in it. I can only hope for the best. But hopefully, when It's all over and done, I hope to be weened off of soda quite a bit. It's been water water water, cranberry juice, lemonade and more water for the past 2 weeks. It seems like lately I can't get enough to drink...it must be the happy drugs too.

1 comment:

Becky said...

Sounds like quite the adventure! All I can say is YuCk!! Glad to hear at least the ER visit went good. I hope your and Dad's trip is a ton of fun (which it will be) and that you don't have any problems. We'll see ya later!